> I'm not sure I've followed you with whole Ownership model..
> Isn't that a RDBMS approach to the data and not BigTable's?

The two approaches aren't mutually exclusive.  In the case of User <->
CD, a User can have thousands or more CDs and a CD could be purchased
by millions.  Under those circumstances, storing the ownership
relationship in a list of references under either User or CD entities
will really impact performance.

In Rafe Kaplan's article he says:
"Another more important one is that you want to avoid storing overly
large lists of keys in a ListProperty."

The straightforward alternative is a separate Ownership model and now
there's a separate issue of constructing a transaction that handles
updating your genre counter upon a successful Ownership change.

It'll be interesting if someone comes up with another approach, maybe
using multiple User entities (under one entity group) that all map to
a single user, with each User entity holding a subset of all the CDs
and genre counters.