On Jan 17, 2:54 pm, Andy Freeman <ana...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >  data privacy is probably the number one barrier to
> > commercial cloud adoption at the moment.
>
> Some supporting evidence would be nice because only one person is
> raising this concern.  Maybe it's so huge a barrier that no one else
> is bothering, maybe the discussion is somewhere else, but....

I see this concern all the time.  From every business-oriented point
of view.  I'm surprised that anyone else doubts this.

I thought it could pretty much be considered a given.

Businesses frequently consider data one of their most valuable
assets.  And they're reluctant to trust it with anyone else.

> > When you put these two statements together, Google is able to
> > reproduce, adapt and modify developer contributed code to improve your
> > UI, and explicitly *does not* require content owner's permission.
>
> Actually, there's nothing about the UI.

That's in there.  Maybe it's a recent addition?

> However, there's something
> important missing from this discussion, namely "for the sole purpose
> of enabling Google to provide you with the Service in accordance with
> its privacy policy."

Have I mentioned before that I really like that whole "sole purpose"
phrase?  I think I have.

> How about some acceptable wording from a service that provides
> computation and storage resources, together with a link to the whole
> policy?

Ooh, nice question!

I <3 nearlyfreespeech.net (I'm completely unaffiliated...the guy who
owns it probably hates me).  But even they don't have anything as
explicit as google's.