Thanks guys, your replies have so far been really insightful.

I totally agree with that Google App won't be able to handle that many
requests at this stage (being free and all) but I haven't even started
developing the app, so reaching a hundred thousand users is still far away,
but what I would like to do is build a system, keeping in mind that I would
have to serve that many users in the near future.

So guys, how would you actually go about designing a system which has
scalability built into it from day one..

I'm a total newbie here, so please excuse me if my questions are a bit
general. I've heard that its essential in scalable systems to keep the
server as stateless as possible, and not to keep to much data in the memory
but rather store it in the database, so my question is, how do you do about
making sure that your database doesn't end up being a bottleneck. Any other
advices would be welcome and highly appreciated.