Hi,

On Jan 29, 6:55 pm, boson <dan.kam...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 29, 5:15 am, Waldemar Kornewald <wkornew...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > What exactly was the problem? Could you please post the settings
> > backend code here?
>
> This is what I was
> following:http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/auth/#writing-an-authenti...

You mean, you just copy-pasted everything or did you actually port the
database-related code? FYI, Django's Model class isn't supported on
App Engine. You have to use Google's Model API:
http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/datastore/modelclass.html

> > Did you try to add a few logging.info() calls into your backend in
> > order to verify that the code gets executed, at all, and in order to
> > check which line fails?
>
> I had more logging calls than non-logging calls.  I'm not sure what
> the problem was, but my code seemed to stop executing (I think when I
> tried to construct the User()) without even raising anything. [...]

Did you try to put
try:
except:
    logging.exception('Raised:')
    raise
around the line that just stopped executing? It could be that an
exception gets raised (this definitely happens if you use Django's
Model) and then handled by authenticate(), for example.

> > It's probably better to have a proxy user in the DB or at least fake a
> > user entry (not saved in DB) with a faked key_name, so other code can
> > store ReferenceProperties to that fake user.
>
> This is what everybody keeps telling me... I'm not familiar with
> Django yet.  What is the "other code" that needs to reference DB
> users?  I'm trying to build a super-light non-DB app, but if I have to
> create Users in DB I will.  I just don't know why yet.

Well, if there's no DB code I think you can indeed fake the User. I'm
just wondering why you need monsters like App Engine and Django for
killing a little fly, then. ;)

Bye,
Waldemar Kornewald