Both the datastore and the app engine servers are distributed systems,
so you're not going to have any guarantee that 2 app engine requests
are served from machines that are anywhere near each other, nor that
any 2 bits of data for your application are stored on machines near
each other.

Personally I can't believe that a web request to a server that has to
do a datastore request and then return the data it retrieves could
ever be as fast as a single process doing the datastore request, but
maybe the people suggesting it could be know about some kind of black
magic in Google's servers.

Not that this means I think that giving apps access to other apps'
datastores is a good idea; if they need to use the same data they
should probably be 2 parts of the same application IMO.