Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but since when was it free to run a
EC2 instance?

EC2 Small Instance per CPU Hour is $0.10 (same as GAE's cost 'per CPU
hour')
EC2 outgoing bandwidth is $0.17 per GB for the first Terabyte out. S3
outgoing bandwidth is the same cost for the first 10TB out. GAE is
$0.12 per GB out.
S3 storage is $0.15 per GB for the first 50TB. GAE is $0.15 per GB.

I'm still reading, we may be comparing apples to oranges anyway with
regard to CPU time. Does CPU time on GAE cost if your application
isn't actually in use, or do you pay literally just for the cumulative
number of seconds your app spends actually executing? On EC2 you have
to keep an instance running 24/7 to host a site.

Anyway, I need to go back reading the fine print. But on the face of
it it looks very competitive, particularly if CPU charges are more
granular than EC2.