The quota is actually 500 requests per second..or 30,000 per minute,
or 43m per day.

Google says this should be enough to withstand 'the heaviest of
slashdottings', but that if you need more, you can request a raising
of caps here:

http://code.google.com/support/bin/request.py?contact_type=AppEngineCPURequest

It is kind of my question now too, though..the question of just how
big can an app get on GAE..and how far Google would work with you
beyond the quotas here if your app was really successful and really
needed more. The next facebook might need to go well beyond these
quotas (?) :)