Thank you, as long as I can work around the problem that's fine.

I have tried to vacuum. The status changes to "deleting", then reverts
back to error after ~40min.

I've been told by Ryan on the AppEngine team, that there's 1 entity in
the datastore that's causing the problem. I've tried to delete the
entity via the AppEngine Dashboard, and after about 10 seconds returns
"Server Error".

thanks for your help.
David