Ross is correct.  You only pay for what you use.  If your app doesn't go
over the free quotas, you pay nothing, regardless of how you set your
maximum daily budget.
When you set your budget for the first time, you go through the Google
Checkout process to authorize the maximum budget.  This process does *not*
charge you any money, it only authorizes the budget.

-- Dan