http://code.google.com/status/appengine/detail/serving/2009/03/03#ae-trust-detail-helloworld-get-latency

Just about every day for the past several weeks, there's been elevated
latency like this, usually at similar times of day. It was unfortunate
and frustrating before, but since last night our development is
stalled because every part of App Engine is too slow to do any testing
or data manipulation right now. 5 seconds per request?

I'm confident that the App Engine team will get a handle on the
performance and everything will be shiny once more, but it'd be nice
to hear some word as to what's going on. Are the servers just
overloaded? Did something go wrong with the maintenance last night? Is
anomaly-yellow serving to be expected?