Wow, thanks for the attention, Brett!

We just did a big site update for our app, too, and have been running
around trying to fix critical bugs and get users back online, too, so
you've my sympathies.

I haven't been doing testing since you guys got the latency levels
down, since I did a big blitz right before overhauling the app to be
immune to increased latency (from the user's point of view). We still
have a lot of handlers running a few hundred ms cpu, but they haven't
been getting slammed like they were before, and I got a better version
of my one library that was taking 1300ms to import.

I think you've explained the unresolved mystery of why the handlers
were getting slammed so hard. We were using app caching, weren't
anywhere near 30 instances, and were getting hit bad even with no
datastore access and no instance startup costs--

--but the bit about scaling instances to match sustained throughput is
enlightening. I had thought that when Marzia said that prioritization
was per-request and not per-handler or per-app, that meant this sort
of thing (fast requests being deprioritized) wouldn't happen, and
that's why I was confused. The smaller requests slowing down because
of the big requests (which were mostly happening on instance startup
and were getting deprioritized hard) sounds like my issue. Requests
were very variable on the app, and so a sustained throughput
calculation would be significantly off from second to second or minute
to minute, which may not have helped things.

One thing we found out we could do at the developer chat was store a
lot more than we'd counted on in the memcache. Since we couldn't find
any limits posted, we were being (extremely, as it turns out)
conservative with memcache space. We'll be able to increase
performance in many places by putting more lookup tables in there. I
know that there are few guarantees when it comes to how much will fit
in there, but if Marzia has said that around 100MB is the right
ballpark, then perhaps some info can be put online so others can have
some estimate of its capacity.

After the dust's settled, I'm quite happy with App Engine performance,
and the ease of use has been a dream. Thanks for all your hard work!
--Nick