Do you get any information about the http error?

Your Flex application is going to run in the flash browser
plugin.....are IE6 and 7 using the same version?  You might try
installing the debug version and see if you get any additional error
information.  (I think that IE also caches the httpservice request
that your flex app is making, so might try clearing ie6 cache to make
sure that you are not getting an old version of the data.)

If you go directly to the service page in a browser session can you
visually see any difference in IE6 and IE7.

on your sniffer question......here is some person experience, but
Andrew may know of better options.
I have used Wire shark as a sniffer before and it has been very
helpful.  tcpmon is also a good tool, but I am pretty sure they
operate at different OSI layers.  Tcpmon may be all you need, but if
you want to see the data frame by frame then you need a sniffer tool
like Wire shark.

Doug