On Mar 9, 4:29 am, Waldemar Kornewald <wkornew...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ID management is by far not as important as being able to set custom
> ids. Could you please at least give that little feature a higher
> priority? That would solve a major App Engine issue.

sorry, i probably got ahead of myself by naming specific calls.
naturally, if/when we implement these features, we'd let you set a new
entity's id manually, as well as possibly do more specific things to
manage id namespaces.

we have a decent idea of how we'll implement all this in the datastore
backend, but we haven't thought at all about the developer API yet, so
you all are ahead of me. :P

On Mar 8, 6:28 pm, Andy Freeman <ana...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I understand why you're considering doing that, but it would also be
> nice to have similar operations wrt "no root".  I don't always have a
> reasonable way to name the root for a set of entities that I want to
> create atomically.  For such roots, auto assigned ids are perfectly
> acceptable.  However, since I currently don't get the id until after
> the put, I can't use a single put to do the root and the children
> without naming the root.  Yes, I can wrap two puts, one for the root
> and a second for the children, into a transaction, but if I also want
> the root to contain the children's keys, I can't get their names until
> after the put that sets the root's id, which means that I need to put
> the root entity twice, the second time with the children's names, and
> I can't do that in a transaction.

correct, and we've definitely run into this a few times ourselves.
happily, any feature that let you set a new entity's id manually will
naturally handle this use case.