I just read on your blog (from January) the intention to release the
appengine port of Jaiku as open source when the port is finished..but
I was wondering if I could be so cheeky as to jump ahead with a couple
of questions about it. The requirements of Jaiku seem to line up
roughly similarly with issues I'm having in a slightly different
context, that I'm finding pretty challenging to implement efficiently
on app engine.

With your service, you seem to track updates for friends and other
people I follow..so I  might have a long list of people I'm following,
and you feed me their updates.

How do you implement this on GAE?

I've been toying with a very similar problem for some time now. It
seems to me you cannot chain together queries such as
me.friends.updates.order(..) to get your friends' latest updates, for
example. You can't make n writes to n update queues for n people
following you, since writes are so costly. If I store my friends in a
list of keys, this limits the number of friends I can query at a given
time to 30. e.g. updates.all().filter('user IN', me.friends) is
limited to 30 subqueries. I may have many more friends, so this
approach doesn't seem to be sufficient.

I've been scratching my head over a similar problem for some time now,
coming up with various hairbrained schemes that have been overly-
complex, none of which deliver scalability to the nth degree. So I'd
really, really, really appreciate any insight you could provide in
implementing this kind of data model on GAE!! Many thanks!