Hi

gwt has on the surface nothing to do with gae, ie you can't run the
java server side of
you gwt code on app engine.

Have a look at pyjamas if you want something like this (backend is
python though)

You will need to learn python to get anywhere with gae, unless google
release java support.

My guess it is more likely to be ruby or javascript for the next
language,

in fact I personally think the next language supported by gae will be
javascript
it would make sense given googles development of v8.  (I know nothing
on this topic though ;-)

Just my 2c worth