Coonay,
I use GWT and GAE together and I think it's a pretty good setup.
First, instead of using servlets you will use the request builder and
pass data using JSON instead. 2nd I effectively just send my HTML
output of my GWT project to my GAE project and configure my app.yaml
accordingly.

Using this method you will lose a really big part of GWT, which is the
debugging feature since you will be running dev_appserver. Unless you
can fix it such that u can get JSON responses from it.

But I like my setup. I have pydev and cypal both in eclipse. I just
wish i had debugging somehow.