The referenced post has examples of simplejson taking 10x more time
than cjson.  10x difference in a component is noticeable for some
applications.

It also shows that pickle is much slower and has 2x bigger output than
json for "objects".  (For strings, they all should be roughly the
same.)

I mention pickle because it's used by memcache.  Since both pickle and
json should be very efficient for strings, it may make sense to
memcache json output instead of objects.

In addition, some people are using pickle to create datastore blobs.
Perhaps json is a better choice.