Arun,

I think during each deployment (upload) of your app, the current
number of files in your local app directory (minus whatever is not
uploaded due to app.yaml directives, etc) is what counts.  If Google
judges the quota against all past plus modified files uploaded, the
limit would be exceeded very quickly.  So even if you don't change the
version, just makes sure your current # of files is lower than the
quota.

-Bill