The App Engine datastore is a distributed schemaless object store, with
support for index-based queries and local transactions.  It is built on
BigTable, a major component of Google's storage infrastructure.

Full support for SQL is unlikely to happen in the near future, as is full
support for RDBMS-style joins.  There are many opportunities to meet
specific use cases, though, and we're actively considering many of those.

-- Dan