the discussion here is pretty on target. thanks, all!

beyond the points already raised, i'd guess this is caused either by
writes (puts or deletes) that returned errors, and therefore didn't
update all indices, or an index consistency bug that we're currently
working on:

http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=901

in both cases, a successful put() on the entity in question will fix
the problem. we're still working on issue 901, and we definitely
expect to have that resolved soon. as for put() and delete() calls
that return errors (like timeouts), we're always working to reduce
those, but they'll unfortunately always be possible, so you'll want to
plan for that.