I tried this code which I think should work.. any ideas? Looks like a
quercus issue.

import com.google.appengine.api.datastore;
import com.google.appengine.api.datastore.Entity;
import com.google.appengine.api.datastore.DatastoreServiceFactory;

$data = array('test' => 1,
         'test2' => 2);

$entity = new Entity("MV_Storage_Php");
$entity->setProperty("value", serialize($data));

echo "KEY: ". (string)$entity->getKey(); // ok - unknown
echo "VALUE: ". (string)$entity->getProperty("value"); // ok

$dataService = DatastoreServiceFactory::getDatastoreService();

foreach($dataService->getActiveTransactions() as $t) {
        echo "TRANS: ". $t->getId(); // no transactions...
}

$dataService->put($entity); // NULL exception?

echo $entity->getKey();

Read this:
http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/javadoc/com/google/appengine/api/datastore/package-summary.html