I have a function that goes and looks up some data.   I'd like to say
something to the user after they click submit but before I have any
results.

I've tried HttpResponse with response.write as well as
self.response.out.write

The problem with both of them is that they wait until the function is
done before they output anything.   Saying "I'm starting the lookup"
doesn't work so well when they see it after the fact ...

I've done about 90 minutes of Googling and looking at the Django docs
and am coming up empty.

Thanks!