Thanks very much for the suggestion!

I found a solution along the lines of what you were suggesting here:
http://www.netmechanic.com/news/vol8/javascript_no2.htm

This: <a href="http://www.netmechanic.com/promote.htm";
onClick="javascript:return confirm('Would you like to increase your
search engine rank?')">Improve your site!</a>  provides a cancel/OK
box with message and that seems to work fine.

Your solution is better  because it stays on the page rather than
going to another page.   So I will probably come back to it later.

Thanks again.