Hi Neal

I do use templates but zpt based ones, I am not using any bits of
django
there are quite a few other python lightweight frameworks running on
gae
now.

For alternatives have a look at things like pylons or repoze, however
you will
 possibly be a bot more on your own as django is a bit of a default
for gae seeing
google is shipping it.