On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 10:31 AM, Iap <iap...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/6/18 codingGirl <astrid.thuec...@googlemail.com>
>

>> I thought the URL lenght limit applies only for URLs typed int he
>> browsers address bar, doesn't it?
>>
>> Or does it also apply to the src-URL in an iframe?
>

> I think that it is depends on the http server for the maximum length
> of the request line it can endure. It has to tell from a nomal request
> to a over-flow attack. Ifram or not is not under the concern, since the
> server does not care about it is iframe or not.

Both servers and clients have limits on the length of URL they will accept.
For example, Internet Explorer is limited to 2048 characters:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/208427

>>  >
>> > The 30 second request limit only starts after App Engine receives the
>> > request. At any rate, with a maximum URL length on the order of a few
>> > kilobytes, even the slowest user is not likely to take more than a
>> second or
>> > two to transmit the URL!
>> >

> I think the "Timeout problem" of the data store is the most imfamouse
> problem of GAE.
> It was reported in many usage scenarios. We have encoutered this problem
> by simply iterate all the members in a small amount of Model.
> Some others has the same experience.
> By posted mails, It seems to happen in some unbelivable simple case.
> I have no idea if the Timeout problem has been improved or not.
>  Definitely, it is the problem which prohibits my boss from investing
> much more man-hour to get involved in the GAE.
> It seems that the official answer to this problem is: we do things in wrong
> way.
> (Well, what is the right way?)
> Maybe it has been resolved, or never to be taken as a problem.
> Who knows the most updated information about that?

Timeouts can be caused by a number of factors. About 0.1%-0.2% of datastore
operations will timeout in normal operation - just due to how Bigtable
works, with occasional tablet moves, etcetera. The rate of timeouts can be
affected by what you do with the datastore - for example, a single query
returning a large number of entities, or for particularly large entities,
has a greater chance of timing out than a smaller, but otherwise identical
query.

For datastore puts and deletes, we currently automatically retry when
timeouts occur, and for datastore transactions, your user code is rerun if a
timeout occurs. Gets and queries are currently not retried.

The solution in general is twofold: Retry when you can, and return an error
to the user (or have them re-request the page) in the rare instances when
you can't.

-Nick Johnson

--
Nick Johnson, App Engine Developer Programs Engineer
Google Ireland Ltd. :: Registered in Dublin, Ireland, Registration Number: