Hi Stephen,
In the SDK dev server, the task queue's tasks must be triggered manually. If
you visit localhost:8080/_ah/admin/queues, you can see a list of queue names
with a "flush" button to cause all enqueued tasks in that queue to be
executed. Part of the reason for having a manual trigger for execution is to
prevent runaway scenarios as you describe. In the SDK you can step through
each "generation" of tasks and watch for endless or exponential triggers.

Happy coding,

Jeff