I do have some large static files, and given that appengine do not use
eTags or another form of check it is always returning the entire
files.

If the static files count as part of the outgoing traffic quota (which
I think it is reasonable), then either you implement eTag or another
method of not returning the entire file if it was not modified.

My other alternative is to implement my handlers, move all to dynamic,
and handle the 304 myself. I don't like the idea but I have no choice.

Regards,
MAriano