Hi,

I'm researching the feasibility of running a healthcare app on the
AppEngine cloud.  I've read through the AE terms of service and they
don't say much about the actual security guidelines other than
deferring to the boilerplate Google security policy.  I have no doubt
there are internal documents detailing the exact security guarantees
provided by Google's infrastructure, but that information is not
readily available to the public.

It's been a full year since the last time HIPAA was discussed in this
group.  Now that SSL support has been enabled, data transfer
constraints can be met with ease.  So, what's the story today with GAE
and HIPAA compliance?  Are the App Engine's data storage and transfer
mechanisms compatible with the guidelines set out by HIPAA?

Google Apps documentation has quite a bit more security information,
such as specifying annual SAS 70 Type II audits.  I'm not familiar
with this particular security audit, but some quick research seems to
indicate that SAS 70 audit controls are mostly a superset of HIPAA
guidelines.  However, there are some aspects of HIPAA compliance that
seem to be difficult to implement in a distributed database system, so
any reassurances from the Google App Engine folks in this regard would
be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Ken