Ultimately the question the TOS is asking is: "are multiple appspot
apps being used to circumvent quotas/limits?"

It would seem to me that a facebook-clone app like you describe would
see considerable savings by splitting into multiple apps (because of
the free quota allotted to each app), which I imaging Google would
frown upon.  However, if your subapp has different requirements that
might justify it being moved to a new app id (for example, a different
group of developers who shouldn't have access to the main app's
dashboard, etc), you might get some leniency.