Jeff,

I've reworked my app since I originally posted, to avoid relying on
the task queue API.  The enqueue line was:

          taskqueue.add(url='/admin/checkStarted?session=%s' %
session.key(), method='GET', countdown='30')

I did not set a task name.  I can see now that this would have avoided
the repeated executions.  Good tip.

I figured that if there was an exception adding a task to the queue,
that meant the task had NOT been added to the queue.  You should
update the docs to make it very clear that this is not necessarily the
case.

As for the retry, I sent the browser a redirect back to the same
handler when the error occurred.  So what happened was a very fast
try / except / redirect / try / except / redirect cycle for as long as
my browser could stand (about 15 iterations).  Then, 30 seconds later
the tasks all ran and I had datastore contention issues.