I've been unsuccessfully searching through the group for some pointers
on how to implement this.

Here's my scenario - I want to be able to push large images and videos
online, files that would be larger than the current App Engine
limits.  I want to control access to these files as if they were blobs
in an App Engine datastore (simple stuff like controlling who can view
them) but I want to store them on a third party server (that I have
control over). Obviously, a direct URL to the image isn't good as
anyone could find that. I'd need a simple backend script running on
the third-party server.

I don't really care about how the files are actually going to get
where they need to go, I can manage that.  What I'm having trouble
with is how to setup that third-party server with a simple script that
would serve up the content when requested by the App Engine front end.
That script would have to check that the request is coming from the
front-end and for a valid (authorized) user.

This seems like a pretty trivial thing to do but I can't figure out
what I need to pull it off. Any help is appreciated!