I'm all set now.  Creating a brand new gmail account and using that
for administration (and billing) is working for me.

I can tell you from experience that using an apps account that is also
a google account is NOT the way to go.  The "bugs with the process"
are completely crippling.

In case you are interested, another monkey wrench in my case was that
there was another administrator on the account, which was a proper
google account and also a *nickname* of my google apps account.  I
think this created a whole 'nother layer of bugs.  Deleting that
account from the three apps that threw the "applications'
authorization domain" error made them behave like the rest of the
apps.