Hi Waldemar

I've not compared appengine-patch and google-app-engine-django for
performance but when using google-app-engine-django r86 (which used
django 1.0 via zipimport) I was getting a high-cpu warning for every
second or third page load and for each of these pages the logs showed
that zipimport wa re-loading django. When I moved across to google-app-
engine-django r90, which uses the built in django 1.0 libraries this
issue went away and my cpu usage and page load times dropped
significantly.

I think perhaps the important factor here is the very low concurrency
for this specific application. As I said, it was written for a very
small company which means that most of the time no-one at all using it
and at most there are only ever one or two people. This leads to an
extended time between hits on the application which causes the django
zip to be re-imported at best every 2-3 page loads (my guess is that
the entire app is being flushed from memory). If I hit pages on the
application in quick succession this doesn't happen, which may explain
the figures you obtained for zipimport performance. If the application
was being more heavily used then I'm sure that the zipimport overhead
would not be an issue at all.

I'm a little worried that this has turned into an appengine-patch vs
google-app-engine-django argument, which it really isn't meant to be
at all. I think appengine-patch is a fantastic bit of software and I
fully intend to use it in the future but this specific application is
written using google-app-engine-django. Zipimport issues aside I'd
rather not spend the time porting it back to appengine patch but I
want to be able to continue supporting it moving forwards which is the
sole reason I asked on this mailing list about the status of the
google-app-engine-django project.

Thanks

Andy