I have just finished uploading approximately 20GBs of Nasa SRTM
elevation tiles to the app engine, it wasn't straightforward - here's
how I did it:

1. I created a REST webservice (google for "Restlet"), this received
POST requests. A POST request consisted of the tile filename and the
tile contents (a byte array converted to a base 64 string)
2. Once the servlet recieved the POST request it got the filename
parameter from the POST request and created a new "Tile" datastore
object with the primary key being set as the filename.
3. It then retrieved the tile contents parameter (the base 64 string)
from the POST request and decoded it back into a byte array. This was
saved as a blob field to the Tile datastore object.
4. The Tile object was then saved to the datastore.

I also compressed the byte array prior to uploading so that saved a
little time. It still took 2 solid days of uploading though and costs
about 12 cents a day (bargain).

If you think what I have described is too confusing for you to
implement it may be possible for me to send you the webservice and the
tile uploader program (I am extremely busy at present though so I make
take a while!)

Hope that helps.