Currently, grouping together users by physical area has been a
challenge I've met a few ways in various projects by having a 'city'
field and using my own arrays with cities of all states, county arrays
that contain multiple cities, and doing queries using these to find
all people in a county or in a state, etc.

Google's 'PostalAddressProperty' got me excited and I was wondering if
there is a way to use this to simplify lookups for cities (based on
zips), counties, states, etc with simple queries on this special field?