Hi Takashi,

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 1:56 PM, Takashi Matsuo <matsuo.taka...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed db.allocate_ids method is very useful when bulkloading. I
> have a question about the spec of this function.
>
> Q1.
> Isn't it possible to allocate ids for children entities of particular
> entity?
> It seems that this function allocates only for root entities.

Yes - just pass a model or key representing a child entity you want to
allocate IDs for.

> Q2.
> Isn't it possible to control what id to start allocating?
> Let's say I need to allocate ids from 1 to 1000 of particular kind.
> I've mistakenly invoke as follows:
>
> ids = db.allocate_ids(an_instance, 100)
> (100 instead of 1000)
>
> Of cause, ids are (1, 100), oops. So I tried to allocate the rest with
> 900 as second parameter.
>
> ids = db.allocate_ids(an_instance, 900)
>
> I expected that ids are (101,1000), but actual result is (2001, 2900).
>
> How can I allocate ids from 101 to 1000 explicitly in this case?

IDs aren't guaranteed to be sequential - you can't safely use IDs that
weren't returned by allocate_ids or assigned to your models, and you can't
request a specific range.

-Nick Johnson

--
Nick Johnson, Developer Programs Engineer, App Engine
Google Ireland Ltd. :: Registered in Dublin, Ireland, Registration Number: