I have to agree with the others. GAE is a fine (I would say it is the
ideal) prototyping platform--development is easy, and deploying is
trivial. However as an app becomes increasingly valuable to its
creator, you will feel more and more pressure to move to traditional
hosting. I inherited the project I am currently in charge of. It is an
iPhone app backend, doing around 100 queries/sec, supporting users in
the six digits. I will tell you flat out: if it were possible to move
off GAE, we would!

The platform is okay. However as an app becomes more valuable,
deployment and development are not your biggest concern. Availability
and disaster recovery are. I guess I have moved through the five
stages of grief. I too submitted a patch in the early days to have
it...ignored. Not rejected, not approved, but just ignored. Now I am
indifferent to GAE's strengths and weaknesses. It is simply a matter
of money, of value, and of risks.

At this very moment, we are undergoing a significant model refactor to
improve performance. We are having to bend over backwards to simulate
what should be trivial--backups.

But hey, you can delete your app now. But only permanently. That's
wonderful!