Well that's not cool.

Task queue did the same thing: Threw an exception, even though it
actually queued the task.  Perhaps Google is confused about what an
exception is.

Nick: How can I tell if the email was sent?  I'd hate to blast a bunch
of duplicate emails just because of some bogus error.

Perhaps you should just increase the "Timeout" on this API to a limit
that it can actually meet?

-Joshua