Hi Nick,

On Dec 9, 1:58 pm, "Nick Johnson (Google)" <nick.john...@google.com>
wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> The standard way to determine if you are running on the development server
> is this:
> DEBUG = os.environ['SERVER_SOFTWARE'].startswith('Dev')

Awesome! That's exactly what I was looking for.

> Are you sure there has been a change in behaviour with regards to ignored
> files? Are you able to provide a test case for this?

Unfortunately I don't have a test case. But here is what I had working
for a long time:

- settings.py (constants, URI mappings, etc. for production)

- _localsettings.py (overridding constants, etc. for local
dev_appserver)

- in settings.py

try:
  from _localsettings import *
  logging.info('running with localsettings')
except ImportError:
  pass

Then there is the following log line:

WARNING  2009-12-10 02:10:19,624 dev_appserver.py:1083] Blocking
access to skipped file "/Users/alex/workspace/python/twimblr/
_localsettings.py"

and my overridden local constants not taking effect.

I must confess that I don't know how recent is this change as there
have been a gap for me in using the SDK. But I'm pretty sure that
around version 1.1.9 this wasn't happening.

Now, considering the above solution the fact that this behavior
changed is no big deal. And I do understand the reasons for
introducing this behavior (avoiding people surprise that something is
working with the SDK but not in production).

./. alex