Hi Stephen,

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 12:49 PM, Stephen <sdea...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 11, 4:57 pm, Toby Reyelts <to...@google.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 8:19 AM, bFlood <bflood...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > also: "to write a "Hello World" python app that responds from a cold
> > > start on the order of 100m" - again, I have not seen this in practice
> > > for quite some time. the simplest of python sites, with no imports and
> > > very little code seem to start in the  500ms  to 1s range (and
> > > sometimes, much longer). Please note Nick's post here, where he
> > > changed his original cold-start metrics:http://bit.ly/6Fsoxv
> >
> > Nick's example is not "Hello World". He's cold-starting his blogging app
> in
> > less than 500ms. (I personally believe that is quite acceptably
> responsive).
>

> Actually, it pretty much is "hello world".
>
> The whole point of Nick's Bloggart is that content is pre-rendered so
> that it can be served 'static'. There is a catch-all regexp in
> app.yaml that runs static.py. This script looks up the URL in
> memcache, or does a db.get if uncached. It returns the bytes of the
> pre-rendered content which is stored there.
>
> Toby, how would you improve the cold start performance of this app
> from 500ms to 100ms?

Actually, Bloggart still has one or two unresolved transitive dependencies.
static.py imports 'utils', which imports django 0.91 (for templates).
Splitting out the bits of the utils module that Bloggart depends on from the
other bits (which use Django) would likely improve startup time
substantially. This has been on my TODO for a while now.

-Nick

Nick Johnson, Developer Programs Engineer, App Engine
Google Ireland Ltd. :: Registered in Dublin, Ireland, Registration Number:
368047