On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 2:11 PM, Devel63 <danstic...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Toby,
>
> In the past, it was several minutes before an active instance would be
> swapped out.  Of late, I have seen it repeatedly/regularly happening
> within several seconds.

This is something we monitor fairly closely. The average lifetime of an idle
VM varies as the load across App Engine varies, but they do not timeout
"within several seconds". One thing you might be seeing is that a burst of
several requests can cause more than one VM to be loaded simultaneously.

> I've avoided (so far) the auto-ping approach; your idea to auto-ping
> only when a user is on a page is intriguing.  Still wasteful and
> "wrong", but perhaps necessary.

Sending a single ping a few seconds ahead of time for a user is very low
waste.

> Yes, I have voted for the paid warm instance :-)
>
> Finally, I don't understand how I can significantly reduce my warm up
> time. I suppose I could split each "page" into a separate app.yaml
> handler (already done for admin versus user tasks), but then the user
> would even more certainly run into startup issues when navigating
> within the site.  Besides, most of the time is spent importing Django
> and system stuff I can't control.

You can control whether or not you use Django. I also don't understand how
splitting your app into separate handlers would cause more startup issues
for you.

> The only reason I'm using Dango (0.96) is for translations ... is
> there a built-in way to handle translations via webapp?

Sorry, I'm not that familiar with what's available for Python, but my
understanding is that Django is aggressive about up front initialization.