The technique I use is to deploy it as a new version number, and wait for the
indexes to finish, and then proceed to make it the default.

The indexes are shared between versions, so this "just works."

It does mean that you have to plan for a 24 hour delay in deploying a new
version, but for most developers, that forced QA time is probably good
discipline anyway!

-Joshua