Well, it looks like the darndest thing. First off, here's the path
from within Python (and it has remained unchanged through all of the
events below).

Python 2.6.1 (r261:67515, Jul  7 2009, 23:51:51)
>>> import sys
>>> sys.path
['', '/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
python26.zip', '/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/
2.6/lib/python2.6', '/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/
Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/plat-darwin', '/System/Library/Frameworks/
Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/plat-mac', '/System/
Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/plat-
mac/lib-scriptpackages', '/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/
Versions/2.6/Extras/lib/python', '/System/Library/Frameworks/
Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/lib-tk', '/System/Library/
Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/lib-old', '/
System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/
lib-dynload', '/Library/Python/2.6/site-packages', '/System/Library/
Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/Extras/lib/python/PyObjC', '/
System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/Extras/lib/
python/wx-2.8-mac-unicode']

I removed the Python 3.1 reference but that changed nothing. But I
found that in my admin account (in which I had installed the Launcher
in the first place) running appcfg.py did produce the desired result.
Truly bizarre that in my regular user account, groctimespecification
couldn't find the module groc, even though they're both in the same
directory, and the first one was found no problem in the first place.
Anyway, what I did was, without wiping anything out except /
Applications/GoogleAppEngineLauncher.app, I took the SDK image in my
regular user account, copied the Launcher to my desktop, opened it and
made (revised?) symlinks, and suddenly everything works fine here. I
have no idea why, because as far as I know the symlinks in /usr/local/
google_appengine/ are the same as before.

One problem I can point out is that the README refers to a .pkg
installer, but there is none. Was that the state of affairs
previously?

Anyway, this problem has taken up a lot of my time today so I have to
move on, but if you guys have any commentary or want to try to
reproduce it, I will be following up. Thank you so much for your
prompt comments!