There is an article series about the datastore. It explains that the
Timeouts are inevitable. It gives the reason for the timeouts. They
will always be part of Bigtable and the Datastore of GAE.

The only solution is a retry on EVERY read. The get by id/key and the queries.
If you do that then very few reads will result in a Timeout.
I wait first 3 and then 6 secs between each request. I log each Timeout.
If still Timeout after 3 read tries I raise the exception.

The result is very few final read Timeouts. The log shows frequent
requests that need a retry, but most of them will succeed with the
first.

For speed, fetch the Static content object by key_name, and key_name
is the file path.