I don't know if this helps, but at work we sometimes use NHibernate, which
has incredibly bad startup times when there are lots of XML config files.

I creatd a static HTML file that displayed a "We're just loading the
application" page and used javascript to redirect to the first aspx page
(passing over the querystring). The HTML page was served by IIS immediately
(same way a static page would be served on App Engine), and then that page
will stay visible while the browser waits for the next (dynamic) page.

It doesn't solve the problem, but it at least lets you show the user a
messages saying something is happening rather than the browser sitting there
on a white pag looking like your site is down.

Danny