App caching could last as little as a few minutes if your site is not
used.
In addition if multiple instances are run then only one instance will
have the counter with the correct value.

You should store your obj in the datastore and cache it in memcache.

module level caching is really only useful for cacheable things for
each instance,
for example compiled templates.