But is Mako included in GAE? I use the Django version that's included
in GAE.

It would be fun, although likely unnecessary to write my own template
code. I would then only use one template expression, such as
[[ name ]] and then do a simple, lightning-fast string replacement of
these expressions in the template. No if statements, no for loops or
anything fancy like that. :-)