I'm no expert on cloud computing, but I find it strange that it should
take several seconds to instantiate an application. Is the Java
version of GAE faster than the Python version when it comes to cold
start? In Java you basically just need to have the classloader load
the bytecode files for the application. Doesn't Python work in a
similar way?

To load an application over the network into the memory of a server
cannot take much time, unless the application is monstrously huge. So
there must be some other kind of bottleneck involved. Maybe to hook up
an application to the datastore, memcache etc is what takes a lot of
time during a cold start?