'Why' is definitely a reasonable question to ask.

If the system's fully redundant or whatever, it shouldn't take this
long to switch to backups etc...should it?

It kind of also reveals the truthiness of the statement that you're
running on the same infrastructure as Google...I do wonder if it's the
appengine team's responsibility (with their apparently limited
resources) to fix things when something goes wrong here, or if you
have the full might of Google's support staff out to make things right
when things go belly up. Something tells me it is just the AE
guys.. :|