1)  Based on discussions and responses I have seen, every connection counts.
2) It works well for us, other than there can sometimes be a little
bit of lag  But it is usually very small.
3) If you find a good way I am sure many people would like to know.
Where did you read that long-polling is supported?
  For more discussion have a look at (and star) this issue:
http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=377

Robert